... are you disposing of yours properly?
A WORKMAN was left shocked and suffering from smoke inhalation when aerosols exploded as he loaded a bin van. The man was knocked back into a wall by the explosion, which engulfed the rear of the lorry in flames.
Details of the incident were given at Brighton and Hove Magistrates when Cable and Wireless Ltd admitted a duty of care offence. It was fined £2,000 with £408 costs.
The court heard that the driver from Hales Waste arrived at the Cable and Wireless depot in Basin Road South, Portslade, for a regular pick-up.
As he started emptying the bins into the back of the lorry, there was a huge flash and explosion from the back of the vehicle.
An attempt to put out the fire succeeded briefly before several smaller explosions forced workers to retreat to safety. The fire brigade arrived, got the situation under control and discovered several boxes of used aerosol paints in the skip, put out as general industrial waste when in fact aerosols are considered to be special waste.
During an investigation, it was discovered that the employee who had put the aerosols in the skip had been employed by Cable and Wireless since 1992, but he had missed out on induction training introduced in 1997.
The company told the court that it had put procedures in place to prevent a similar incident in future.
Source: Environment Action, Issue 24, March 2000